Of course it led to a very interesting conversation over dinner the night I brought it home about fashion, and what disconnect happens in women's brains that make them buy an item like this. I didn't have an answer at first, I just knew I liked it. We had a fun time trying to tease apart the reasons behind it, and weird fashion trends in general, and finally came up with a succinct undeniable answer - it's made to catch the eye. And it certainly does.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Who skinned a giraffe?
I've been looking for a new purse for a while. My whole life my purses have been functional rather than accessories. Small-medium cloth bags with lots of pockets. I wanted something different this time and I had my eyes peeled for one in green, purple, or red, maybe that shiny leather that's popular now. Totally new territory for me, and I wasn't liking what I saw. Then I went shopping at lunch one day with a friend from work at a cool consignment shop nearby. I'm able to talk myself out of almost any purchase if I'm alone, but if someone is with me I find it harder to say no. I think that's part of the reason I asked her if she wanted to come with me. I found one I liked, even stuck my current purse into it to see how it handled the weight, carried it all over the store, then hung it back up. Thankfully my friend was patient and encouraging, and waited while I talked myself back into buying it.
Yes, it's ridiculous. Different in every way from my normal bags. No convenient pockets, far bigger and heavier than others, yet I can't help grinning every time I put it on. So far it's working out great, and the added room allows me to easily hold everything I want to carry with me.
Of course it led to a very interesting conversation over dinner the night I brought it home about fashion, and what disconnect happens in women's brains that make them buy an item like this. I didn't have an answer at first, I just knew I liked it. We had a fun time trying to tease apart the reasons behind it, and weird fashion trends in general, and finally came up with a succinct undeniable answer - it's made to catch the eye. And it certainly does.
Of course it led to a very interesting conversation over dinner the night I brought it home about fashion, and what disconnect happens in women's brains that make them buy an item like this. I didn't have an answer at first, I just knew I liked it. We had a fun time trying to tease apart the reasons behind it, and weird fashion trends in general, and finally came up with a succinct undeniable answer - it's made to catch the eye. And it certainly does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
When I saw your status on facebook the other day, I about fell over. I thought," there is no way I would've pictured Darcy paying for a D&G bag". Now that I read your blog, it makes sense... consignment! Recycling at its finest :)
Yeah, there's no way I'd pay that much for just a purse. Makeup & shoes are a different matter though.
The bag is beautiful and quirky! I think it fits a moment perfectly.
Post a Comment